Tall Poppy Diaries

Observations and musings on life as a happy high-achiever (or what the Aussie's call a "Tall Poppy" ). "Unless you choose to do great things with it, it makes no difference how much you are rewarded, or how much power you have." --Oprah Winfrey

Friday, December 31, 2004

 

  Tall Poppy Diaries: The Basics


Yesterday, I came across two people on my referral list who had done a search for my very first post. I was nervous when I saw that. Why? Because I hadn't read it since I wrote it and I couldn't remember what I had said. When I first started writing Tall Poppy Diaries, I had no idea what a blog was. I heard them mentioned during TV coverage of the DNC, and thought I should try it. So, fearing that my first post was something I would regret having left in the public domain, I closed my eyes and clicked the link to see JUST how bad it was. It began:

"A few years ago, a group of girlfriends and I were discussing why many women feel obligated to cut down other women who are perfectly nice but who have distinguished themselves in such a way that they "stand out from the crowd". ....

My friend, Laura, spoke up and said: "My friend Karen lived in Australia for a while. She told me that in Australia they call high-achievers 'Tall Poppies'.When you have a poppy field, it's most desirable for all of the poppies to be the same height. The entire field of poppies looks better when they appearto be all the same. So if one poppy grows taller than the other poppies around it, they just chop it down so that it doesn't make the rest of the poppies don't look bad. It really is the same way with people. When someone achieves too much and 'grows too tall', it seems like their peers feel obligated to try to knock that person down...."

The post continued:

"....Who REALLY empathizes with a girl or woman who is successful. AND happy. AND who always seems to get what she wants (even though that isn't the case)? OTHER TALL POPPIES DO...

If you usually find yourself celebrating your success alone in front of your TV with Carrie Bradshaw and a quart of Ben and Jerry's...

1) Don't despair! Realize that you are in fine company. Many of the people you admire most are right there in the trenches with you.

2) Surround yourself with people who can be happy for your successes and not get in a snoot when you try to share your happy news with them.

Oh! So, you're coming up short in the 'I'm so happy for you, girlfriend!' department?

3) You can always tell ME about it! I will always be happy to hear you toot your horn or whine for a few lines--just as long as you are keepin' your bloom on straight (naughtiness and meanness are NOT TP Characteristics!)...."

...So come on in, grab a breath of fresh air, and feel free to join in the discussion. I'll share observations of my own about life in the Field, a few links that I think Tall Poppies would find interesting, and I hope that you will feel free to do the same. "

As we celebrate the New Year, I thought it would be fun to good to get back to the basics. Back to talking about the things that we ALL need to do in order to be a happy Tall Poppy (and, yes, call me Pollyanna...I DO think that you can be successful, happy AND nice!)


We do cover all of those things. But I thought it might be good to get down to the basics of what it means to be a Tall Poppy. Several of you have expressed concerns that you were worried about negative attention you might get as a result of BoB nominations. Well, rightly so. Several of my blogging buddies whom have found success of late would tell you that SUCCESS IS NO BED OF ROSES! But there are ways to enjoy it AND survive it.

I also believe that there are 10 Characteristics that women MUST have in order to be a true Tall Poppy. And, regardless of what some might think, being a Tall Poppy can be WAY fun! Over the next 10 days, I will reveal each characteristic and tell you what I think we can do in the year 2005 to grow even stronger and taller. I promise...You won't want to miss it!

My first post will be on the MOST IMPORTANT CHARACTERISTIC one
MUST have in order to be successful AND happy: CONFIDENCE. Without it, you're NOT going to be able to handle the Weeds and naysayers who will come after you every time you get "noticed". So tune in tomorrow.... You'll be glad you did!


Listed on 
BlogShares Listed on BlogShares My Bloginality is ENFP!!!

< ? Blogging Mommies # >