Tall Poppy Diaries

Observations and musings on life as a happy high-achiever (or what the Aussie's call a "Tall Poppy" ). "Unless you choose to do great things with it, it makes no difference how much you are rewarded, or how much power you have." --Oprah Winfrey

Monday, August 02, 2004

 

  What is a Tall Poppy?

I just found this great post about Tall Poppy-ism and it's origins. Thought you might enjoy reading it. Just click on the title (What is a Tall Poppy) above.

An excerpt from the story:

"Taking on a Leadership role means moving beyond the Tall Poppy issue, and insulating ourselves from the potential influences of those who will invariably wish to bring us down.

...Just like children testing the boundaries of their parents, the group can unconsciously band together to "bring down" the leadership ... it's nothing personal, that's just Tall Poppy in action!

We must briefly mention our champions of Tall Poppy Syndrome - I was introduced to Miss. X. You must know somebody like Miss X ... Leader of the Opposition ... Tall Poppy Syndrome on legs ... you recognise them for their need to "expose" your inefficiencies by competing with your knowledge and tweaking your inner most fears with an alarming display of righteousness.

The loaded question indignantly came... "So, just who do you think you are anyway?"

It was exactly at this point that I was also so thankful that I had spent all those years aspiring to conscious relationships. I realised in that instant that I no longer believed that I was anybody in particular at all ... I was free ... and just "me" doing the best I could to inspire other humans towards the same internal freedom."

Well said.




Listed on 
BlogShares Listed on BlogShares My Bloginality is ENFP!!!

< ? Blogging Mommies # >