Tall Poppy Diaries

Observations and musings on life as a happy high-achiever (or what the Aussie's call a "Tall Poppy" ). "Unless you choose to do great things with it, it makes no difference how much you are rewarded, or how much power you have." --Oprah Winfrey

Thursday, August 19, 2004

 

  Reese Witherspoon in Vanity Fair

The September issue of Vanity Fair has a fab article on Reese Witherspoon that reaffirmed so many of the beliefs I hold about women, success and happiness. A few of my favorite quotes:

By Leslie Bennets, the contributing editor:

"While other twentysomething performers generate tabloid headlines with their late-night carousing, stints in rehab, and messy love lives, Witherspoon is a decorous and resolutely private young mother who leads a home-centered life, believes in monogrammed napkins, and always sends Thank-You notes."

"Following in the family tradition, Witherspoon's children have been well-schooled in the importance of saying "Yes Ma'am" and "No, sir" and never sassing their elders.

By Reese Witherspoon:

"There's something about overt sexuality...Like it's scatological or something!"

"It's great that you're the sexy one today, but what are you going to do when you're not the sexy one? I study other people's careers, and I spend a lot of time thinking, What would Tom Hanks do? I'm just trying to stick around and make sure I have a career when I don't seem like the new young sexy thing."

"I want to take the ingenues aside and say, 'Value yourself! It's okay if you have opinions!' "

"There's no winning. You're never going to win the thin race. You're never going to win the pretty race. You're never going to win the smart race. You're never going to win the funny race. I just want to be the best version of myself I can be."

"Etiquette is not dead in certain places. I had to get a little bit away from it to appreciate it."



Listed on 
BlogShares Listed on BlogShares My Bloginality is ENFP!!!

< ? Blogging Mommies # >