Tall Poppy Diaries

Observations and musings on life as a happy high-achiever (or what the Aussie's call a "Tall Poppy" ). "Unless you choose to do great things with it, it makes no difference how much you are rewarded, or how much power you have." --Oprah Winfrey

Thursday, December 16, 2004

 

  On The Fourth Day of Christmas, My Blogsite Gave To Me...

Artwork Courtesy of Porterfield's Fine Art


FOUR CALLING BIRDS: Girl From Florida, Sam, Pink Sun Drops and Princessr9

  • Three French Hens: Amber, Cecilia, and HESTER!
  • Two Turtle Doves: Invisible Poppy and Orange Poppy (who sit around and look pretty, but add surprisingly little to the conversation)
  • And A Partridge In a Pear Tree! MOI'! Oh, and did I mention he left me a year older, too?

Last night, Girl From Florida left me the following list of what each of the 12 Days symbols stands for:

1 Partridge in a pear tree = The One true God revealed in the person of Jesus Christ

2 Turtle Doves = The Old and New Testaments

3 French Hens = Faith, Hope and Charity

4 Calling Birds = the Four Gospels and/or the Four Evangelists

5 Golden Rings = The first Five Books of the Old Testament, the "Pentateuch" which contain the law condemning us of our sins.

6 Geese A-laying = the six days of creation

7 Swans A-swimming = the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, the seven sacraments of the Catholic faith

8 Maids A-milking = the eight beatitudes

9 Ladies Dancing = the nine Fruits of the Spirit

10 Lords A-leaping = the ten commandments

11 Pipers Piping = the eleven faithful apostles

12 Drummers Drumming = the twelve points of doctrine in the Apostle's Creed

So, yes. I do indeed think that today's choices are quite fitting. First, they come calling pretty much every day. They run about spreading cheer and "good news". And they are believers in the principles that Tall Poppies feel are most important, including:

  • Being nice
  • Playing fair
  • Getting ahead on their own merit, rather than at the expense of others
  • Having fun
  • Being their best "selves"
  • Being OK knowing that their "best" will NEVER be "perfect"--nor will anyone else's
  • Having fun
  • Realizing that there is a price to be paid for success, but it doesn't have to bankrupt you.
  • Knowing that intelligence is a crucial. Thinking you know it all? Not so much...
  • Being trustworthy when others confide in you.
  • Understanding that it really IS "just because they're jealous" and being able to move on.
  • And, did I mention how important it is to loosen up, enjoy life and HAVE SOME FUN? Yeah....

My calling birds have GOT that. How 'bout you? If not, go visit their blogs and see what they know that you might need to hear....

And if you DO get it? Don't forget...We're ALL OVER the "spreading Christmas cheer" gig at Tall Poppy Diaries this week. So call on My Four Calling Birds and leave them a bit of your own brand Christmas Spirit.

Now, as for those (slightly SHRUNKEN!) pesky lists...

    Things I Should have done yesterday, but didn't:

    1. Finish my new LAST order (from the woman who hadn't paid me, but now has. SHOOT!)
    2. Finish my LAST My Publisher book.
    3. Find something OTHER THAN TOYS for hubby to give the boys for Christmas.
    4. Put in ALL of my nominations for the BoB's. (probably won't happen until this weekend).
    5. Figure out what the heck to do with my adspace for the BoB's. (Still lookin' for suggestions. Anyone?)
    6. Get a Christmas Tree decorated. GEEZ!!! (day four...)

    Things I DID yesterday, but shouldn't have:

    1. Accidentally "outed" the identity of my dear, incognito friend. ONLY by FIRST name. And ONLY for, oh...say...TWELVE HOURS. But other than that, I was pretty good.
    2. Oh, and stayed up until 3 am. Again. Not. Good.

    Things I have done today:

    1. Got children off to school.
    2. Took Mom to the hospital and visited Daddy.
    3. Wrote this post.
    4. Wiped the shocked look off my face and tried to remain calm when that man downstairs who bears a striking resemblance to my Hubby asked what I wanted for my birthday! (WHAT has he done with my husband, and WHAT does he want from ME?)

    Things I have not done today, but (must) should:

    1. Get showered and dressed (preferably BEFORE Susan picks me up for my birthday edition of "Sushi and a Movie).
    2. Finish my NEW last order. Arrrggghhh....
    3. Learn to say "NO, I'm sorry. I can't. It's my birthday, my father is in the hospital, my mother depends on me for her care, I have children and a husband (who may be an imposter--living IN MY HOUSE!), and friends who want to help me enjoy what might otherwise be a truly frightening milestone of an occasion. I don't have time to get a rush order finished and out to you TODAY! But please call again". As Orange Poppy often says, "An Emergency on YOUR part does NOT constitute an emergency on MINE". (Of course, she doesn't mean MY emergencies, which are always important to her and demanding of immediate action...)
    4. Finish my LAST My Publisher book. (I only need to write a few final captions...they are SOOO cute!!!)
    5. Submit the second installment of my nominations for the BoB awards.
    6. Remind Santa to deliver some Reese's cups (the mini's) to Amber. Bless her heart...
    7. Make "Four Calling Bird" ornaments.
    8. HAVE FUN! And don't be concerned with the Christmas boxes that are screaming to me from the attic or my "to do" list. I'm a Southerner! I can think about THAT tomorrow....

    Listed on 
BlogShares Listed on BlogShares My Bloginality is ENFP!!!

    < ? Blogging Mommies # >